Saturday, September 1, 2012

School is back in session

Well,  the first week of the new school year is over and I'm completely exhausted!  I am at the same school, but have a new position - Reading Helping Teacher.  I get to go around to all the different reading classes and help kids - how great is that?!  So far, I absolutely love it!

This week was also the start of college for me - no, I'm not going back to school.  Well, not actually.  I'm teaching college!!!  My first class was on 8/29 and I was a nervous wreck.  I get to teach a sophomore level psychology class - Human Growth & Development:  Lifespan.  The class is small and they are a great group.

Since I'm so tired and do not feel like cooking a great deal, I made up a huge batch of Cowboy Caviar.  I will be taking a scoop each day for my lunch to get in my veggies.   If you've never tried it, I've included the recipe below, so give it a try!

Cowboy Caviar

2   cans black-eyed peas, drained
2   cans corn, drained
2   cans Rotel tomatoes, drained
1   can diced black olives
1-2 jalapeno peppers  seeded & diced
4-6 small sweet peppers: yellow, orange, & red; seeded & diced
3-5 radishes, diced
3/4 of a zucchini, diced
1/2 lb mushrooms, diced as fine as possible
3/4 bunch cilantro, leaves removed & tossed in
20-30 baby carrots diced as small/fine as possible
1 onion, diced (can be yellow or red- your choice)
Salt & pepper to taste

These are the vegetables I generally put into my caviar, feel free to add things like celery, yellow squash, green peas, or whatever you like.  Most recipes also call for avocado.  Although I love avocado, I don't like it turning brown, so I never add it in to this dip. 

Once you have everything diced up and the cans well drained, put all of it in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.  The longer it stands, the better the flavors meld together.  This recipe can easily be halved or quartered to make a smaller batch. 

I use the caviar as a dip or on salads.  Extremely healthy and super delicious!  Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment